Wednesday, May 23, 2012

For the love of friendship

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. - William Shakespeare

We hadn't chatted properly in months. Life has changed gears, leading us in different directions, for a dear friend I hold very close to my heart, and me.

Yet one stray sentence from her and I knew something was bothering her even as we hung up the phone. It rattled me long enough to call her back even though we'd finished our conversation the first time.

I was right. We bonded for another 30 minutes, on the topic of concern and about this and that, until her daughter woke up.

This time, despite the abrupt goodbye, it felt right again.

It was unspoken but I suspect she felt the same.

Years of friendship do bring that sense of comfort and ease.

And flow.

We've shared a significant part of our lives together.

Yet that one element which sets our friendship apart is that we have allowed each other to grow.

Given each other freedom to make choices that are right for the other. At all times.

No questions asked. Or prejudice or judgement calls.

Just rock solid support and listening with heart.

Time, distance and life changes haven't altered that.

1 comment: